Mobile pre-cooling on-the-go
Current challenges in the first mile
In an efficient cold chain, the fresh produce needs to be pre-cooled immediately after harvest (bringing the temperature down rapidly – often a 15°C to 20°C drop), before it can be placed in centralized cold storage. Lowering the temperature has to be undertaken following specific protocols to maximize quality and shelf-life, while preventing shrinkage and injuries.
However, field-based cold storage infrastructure is usually nonexistent for the first mile. Most produce is left exposed to the sun for hours until all crates are filled before a truck can depart.
Agribusinesses with cold storage infrastructure usually place cold storages in centralized locations, but not close enough to the points of production. In addition, many supply chains working with out-growers require cooling in different locations even within the same season.
Many other producers are placing reefers near centralized collection points, where the fresh produce needs to arrive at the right temperature. As most crops arrive with high temperatures, reefers present challenges in lowering the temperature with the right balance of time and temperature. Reefers are built to maintain temperature, not to pre-cool.
In all cases, there is a cumulative dwell time across produce mobility, which means that the fresh produce has experienced significant “temperature spikes” that will adversely affect all further post-harvest treatment processes.
InspiraFarms broadens the product range with a mobile version of its pre-cooling technology
Michele Bruni, InspiraFarms Technical Director explains, “many fresh produce exporters have been telling us the importance of having solutions for immediate pre-cooling after harvest, critical for crops such as soft fruit, like berries. And the great need for a mobile version that can be easily moved from site to site. This is still not fully available in the market”.
InspiraFarms mobile pre-cooler is the quick, portable and field-level response to reduce external temperature shocks on fresh produce immediately after harvest. It deploys best-in-class forced air pre-cooling, designed for rapid cooling of the product straight from the field, ensuring better product quality and a longer shelf-life.
Mobile pre-cooler features
- The units are containerized (20’HC).
- Easily moved from site to site, using a crane or a forklift, intermodal and CSC certified. They can be mobilized with 6-meter crane-equipped trucks.
- The use of forced air cooling (up to 200Pa) and humidity control allows highly efficient chilling of fruits and vegetables, removing field heat at source.
- The containerized units can load through rollers up-to 80 x 120 cm pallets, lugs, and crates, with up to 1,600 kg/cycle on single phase.
- They can work on-grid and each is provided with an on-board diesel genset with ATS. A solar powered version is soon to be deployed.
- They are rain, frost, dew, dust and wind-proofed.
- Quick and easy deployment and operation.
- Soft fruit: Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Blueberries.
- Stone fruits: Cherries, Peaches.
- Snap Peas.
- Other fruits and vegetables with medium to high respiration rates.
Enquire for specific crop-based performance.
InspiraFarms first mile mobile pre-cooler will be launched in Kenya in July, initially with a limited number of clients. It will be commercially available from September 2020.
If you are interested in our mobile pre-cooler, please send your request here https://www.inspirafarms.com/proposals_form/